Sunday, September 26, 2010

O1V96 on location

As posted on the O1V96 Production Sound Users Group.

I wanted to give an update on my first 2 months with the O1V96 on location and stage. Mainly to give those that are considering this as an alternative to the analog consoles that have been the mainstay for location sound recording for many years.

Without a doubt, this has been a far easier transition than I had anticipated. At first glance, and even after a period of time, the O1V96 seems daunting with with it's menu driven control and it's software based operating system. But as you wrap your head around the structure of the console, you will see patterns and redundancy in the operation. And before too very long, it will only be as complicated as you desire your set up.

I've changed the way my routing, both input and output, a couple of times since I began. And I have settled on a scheme that is very similar to how I first started, with a couple of modifications. I use the BUS outputs as my feeds to the slots utilizing 2 layers on the console, one as the mix layer and the other as the pre-fade output layer. The AUX sends work as my routing to the OMNI outputs giving me all 4 to work with. The AUX/OMINI are for COM/IFB as well as EPK and playback outputs. It's working really well for me, and my show is as complicated as I've ever had to work on.

My power set up is currently in flux, as I am switching out my Xantrex 1000 watt inverter for a smaller unit rated at 300 watts with a 500 watt surge capability. The battery side of my power chain has remained pretty much the same since my analog set up. I like every thing to remain powered up all the time, so the inverter works like a very long lasting UPS system while working on stage. And with the 80 AH battery on board, I can go for several hours without the need for shore power. I completely see how you can run without an inverter these days, as our camera, video assist and/or DIT stations work completely on AC. It's just my preference to have the battery system in place for the comfort factor.

None of this is really new information, but just words of confidence to those that are considering the plunge to a fully digital console set up. Within weeks after I started, I sold my analog console and bought another O1V96 as my back up. I truly didn't want to have to go back to the analog set up.

PWP

No comments: