Thursday, November 27, 2003

Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving. It's the holiday so we have a 4 day weekend! We wind up the show in a couple of weeks so I am making plans for the next upgrade to the "real" sound cart.

The new DEVA recorder will be the first on the top shelf. I have spent the last two TV seasons using a Fostex DV-40. Though we have had little problems with the Fostex, the jump to the portable (PD6) will be a tough sell. There is no hard drive on board, and this troubles me. That with the smaller format DVD-RAM drive (8cm) will make it a "no go" for me. The new DEVA seems to fit the bill for my needs, though the field tests have yet to be done.

I've had great performance from my 2 new Lectrosonic 411's this past season, so the upgrade to 6 units will happen in short order.

The new Sanken CS-1, short shotgun mic will also be on the test bench for me. I'll let you know how that turns out.

The new sound cart looks great, though a bit heavy. It was unavoidable with the new case system and magliner...we just need more space these days. With the added comfort of going completely wireless, I can stay a little farther away from the set. It allows me to have a bigger cart, and still stay out of the way.

Just rambling now so...have a Happy Holiday, and I'll write more later....

No comments: